Popular Posts

Friday, August 30, 2013

Some Things I Like in Kerrville

Sometimes it's good to remember what attracted me to Kerrville when I moved here 11 years ago. You have to start with the natural beauty of the place, with the river and hills. Then there's the dry climate (compared to Houston). The streets are safe. I don't look all around the parking lot for muggers before I get out of my car at the store, even at night.
Here are some of my favorite places:

Book Stores
Wolfmueller's Books on Earl Garrett - a great used and rare book store specializing in Texas history and literature
Books to Share at the corner of Harper Rd. and Junction H.W. - they have thousands of used books, and you can trade one you've read and pick up one you haven't for 1/2 the list price. They have a whole room full of Western novels.
Hastings Booksacross the street from Broadway Bank - good selection of current books, magazines, videos, music

The Kerrville Library has a good selection, and very helpful, friendly staff
Schreiner Univ. Library - City residents can join for a modest annual membership fee

Restaurants, Food

Rails - small restaurant in restored train station terminal. Nice patio for cooler weather
Green Grocer - Delicatessen on Water St. Good sandwiches, soups and salads

Gibsons - next door to Mamacitas - old time hardware store where you can buy guns, ammo, hunting and fishing gear, work clothes, any kind of hardware. Friendly, knowledgeable staff.
Melody Music - great guitar repair shop, with cool selection of used gear. I had a Les Paul that got the neck snapped near the head stock. Stan fixed it so you can hardly see the line where it broke and it plays great.

Flatrock Lake - across H.W. 27 from VA Hospital. Pretty stretch of the Guadalupe River, great for kayaks and canoes. I'm told there's a good bass population but so far I haven't caught any. On the north side there's a city park with a section set off for dogs to be off leash. Caveat - watch out for the occasional jerk who shows up. Most of the regulars are really nice people (and dogs).

Robert Earl Keen - Great singer songwriter, wrote the all time great outlaw song, "The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends." Benefactor to the community, holds a concert every year with proceeds going to Hill Country Youth Orchestra.

Hagi Hagi Hagiholam started out running a taco stand, and built up a successful chain of Mexican restaurants (Mamacita's in Kerrville, Fredericksburg, San Antonio and New Braunfels). He's a benefactor, sponsoring wounded warrior projects, the annual July 4 fireworks show, rebuilding the old Arcadia Theatre downtown and lots of other work that improves the community.
Thomas Hayden Church - a great, underappreciated actor. He can do comedy, serious drama, anything. You see him around town and he seems like a decent man.

Courthouse Staff - the county employees who make the courthouse run are without exception professional and courteous.

The Judges - All of our judges are decent, fair and hardworking public servants.

The local Bar - 90% of the lawyers here are a pleasure to work with. Professional, diligent, fight hard, but keep it civil. The other 10% - well, I want to keep this post positive, so we'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment