Popular Posts

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Californicators: Judges' Hanky Panky; Author Charles Bowden

AND JUSTICE FOR ALL: TWO CA JUDGES CENSURED FOR HAVING SEX IN CHAMBERS
from Breitbart.com
Two California judges were censured by the judicial disciplinary commission for having sexual relations in their courthouse chambers.
The most severe public reprimand the Commission on Judicial Performance can exercise against a judge was levied on Orange County Judge Scott Steiner for having sex with two of his former Chapman University law students and Kern County Judge Cory Woodward for having violated the chamber during his ten month relationship with a court clerk.
Neither of the judges, however, were removed from the bench, reported SFGate.
The commission observed that having sex in the chamber, even if it is consensual, is the "the height of irresponsible and improper behavior by a judge," and demonstrates "utter disrespect for the dignity and decorum of the court."

Michael Morton Launches Website
Michael Morton has a new website to promote his book, here. From the introduction:
"In 1986, after I left my home in the suburbs for a regular day at
work, my wife Christine was brutally murdered while our 3-year old son
watched. Upon returning home from work that day, I found that I was
the prime suspect in her murder, and six weeks later I was arrested.
In 1987, I was sentenced to life in prison after my family and I had
exhausted our financial resources in my defense against a District
Attorney who withheld key evidence in this case. That evidence was
later discovered by the Innocence Project and my pro-bono lawyer John Raley. That evidence ultimately freed me in October 2011, after I had
spent nearly 25 years in prison for a crime I did not commit.
Don't let my story be your story. Join with me and people all over
Texas to maintain the crucial changes that have been made in Texas
state law, that will hold prosecutors accountable when they cross the

line in their pursuit of justice."

Loss of a Great American Writer
Author Charles "Chuck" Bowden died at home over the weekend. He was a great author of nonfiction books and articles in quality magazines like Harpers and Atlantic Monthly. His special area of interest was U.S.-Mexico relations, the border, and the 'war on drugs.' He was a courageous man, who went into Mexico, including Ciudad Juarez, after it became deadly for any journalist. He was hard to miss, at about 6'3, so it's not like he could blend in with the locals.

He wrote the best book I know of about the corruption and violence in Mexico, Down by the River: Drugs, Money, Murder and Family. He also wrote Sicario, based on hours of interviews with a cartel enforcer/killer, and Shadow in the City, about an undercover narcotics cop. I think he loved the people of Mexico and wanted to witness the hell that country has become.

I got to know Chuck after I moved to Kerrville and began corresponding with him about the corruption in the Hill Country. This was when the Kimble County asset forfeiture racket was in ful swing. He was interested enough he stopped on his way from New Mexico to Austin one time to meet me. I've had a couple of articles published that got a good bit of notoriety, and he was kind enough to review them and make suggestions that made them better articles. He was generous with his time, and loved dogs and horses.

Bill Conroy at Narcosphere.com has a moving tribute here:
Charles Bowden has died, but his voice is louder than ever


No comments:

Post a Comment